ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse v. Pitt 12/30/23 Game Thread

Feb 7, 2023
PAGNU3RUU5BATPVYX6L6SVU5SQ.jpg

Thoughts/predictions?

Not a great matchup for SU. Pitt is very good at rebounding on both ends of the floor and do not turn the ball over. Their two wins over power conference opponents (routs of Oregon State and West Virginia) have both been aided by those teams shooting poorly from 3 (5/41 combined), which it is not hard to imagine the Orange doing.

I think it will be close, but I would give Pitt the edge, 75-71.

Nice win for sure. Don't know what Red had been saying to Benny, but damn, it's working! Huge game Tuesday! Go 🍊
I give a lot of credit to how Coach Red handled that situation. He didn't publicly humiliate him. Disciplined him by keeping him out of the lineup and then the rotation. Coached him up behind the scenes. And was rewarded with a great performance.

Reactions: Mershman
Also want to give it up to the whole bench for how they played. I read somewhere that Syracuse's bench scored the last 20 points of the game. That's really impressive and shows how effective having a deep bench can be.

Now let's see what Chance Westry can bring to the table. Autry may have a full 10-man rotation by season's end.

Also want to give it up to the whole bench for how they played. I read somewhere that Syracuse's bench scored the last 20 points of the game. That's really impressive and shows how effective having a deep bench can be.

Now let's see what Chance Westry can bring to the table. Autry may have a full 10-man rotation by season's e

Now let's see what Chance Westry can bring to the table. Autry may have a full 10-man rotation by season's end.

Regarding Chance, at what point in the season do you consider not burning a year of his eligibility?

Westry was a medical redshirt last season. Any reason to not try to have him play circle around the likelihood of a sixth year of eligibility, whether it is likely one would be granted or if he would even want one. If he is healthy enough to play without risk of further injury, he wants to play, and the team circumstances merit it, there is likely no good reason to have him sit.

At the same time, there is almost no reason to have a ten-player rotation. The ninth man right now, Cuffe, is getting minutes beyond providing the smallest amount of rest for Mintz and Starling only if he provides instant impact/a starter has foul trouble/playing a lesser opponent. Cuffe's minutes following the Chaminade game: 3, 6, 15, 3, 15, 18, 5. The double digit minute games in that stretch are Cornell, Oregon, and Niagara. He had an impact early against Oregon and played more against lesser foes, which we will not be seeing the rest of the season. Rotation is essentially already trimmed to eight, especially with the option of playing Copeland at guard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT