ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse v. LSU 11/28/23 Game Thread

Feb 7, 2023
resize

I thoroughly enjoyed that game!

Really impressive game from Chris Bell, 6 of 10 from three is massive. A couple of his threes were contested too and it was cool to see some of those fall. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Mintz should take more threes. He's 7-19 to start the season, and is taking 3 a game, up 1 from last year. Maybe the offensive system is not built for it, but I would like to see more Mintz and Mcleod/Brown two-man game that would allow Mintz the option to get a look at the three.

Reactions: 900 Irving Ave
Agreed. Loved the tempo. Fewer turnovers, out rebounded them offensively and defensively. Go Orange 🍊
That was huge. I'm really impressed with Justin Taylor's rebounding ability given he's an undersized wing. And of course Maliq just swallows up rebounds. It's like the ball is attracted to his hands.

Reactions: Steve Auger
Really impressive game from Chris Bell, 6 of 10 from three is massive. A couple of his threes were contested too and it was cool to see some of those fall. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Mintz should take more threes. He's 7-19 to start the season, and is taking 3 a game, up 1 from last year. Maybe the offensive system is not built for it, but I would like to see more Mintz and Mcleod/Brown two-man game that would allow Mintz the option to get a look at the three.
What I really liked is that Bell was active elsewhere. 2 Rebs. 3 asts. A steal and a block. He's got to be more than just a shooter and he was last night.

I think he's the type of guy that needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He and Judah aren't the best back court pairing because he's not a good shooter, either.
I’ve thought that JJ and Judah don’t mesh that well either. I’d like to see more of Cuffe with Judah. It didn’t matter last night but Quadir not being a shooter will make it tough to use him against UVA because they’ll sag off him daring him to shoot. Guards will need to penetrate and dish for SU to have a chance.

I’ve thought that JJ and Judah don’t mesh that well either. I’d like to see more of Cuffe with Judah. It didn’t matter last night but Quadir not being a shooter will make it tough to use him against UVA because they’ll sag off him daring him to shoot. Guards will need to penetrate and dish for SU to have a chance.
Yes, Mintz and Starling have offensive games that are extremely similar. I would like to see Copeland, for lack of a better description, "calm down" on offense. I think him helping out in running the offense would provide another option to play in the backcourt.

The turnaround in rebounding last night snuffed out LSU's chances. They went from a dozen offensive rebounds in the first half to one in the second. It kept them in the game early, but their offense dried up when they couldn't get enough second chances to overcome their bad perimeter shooting and careless ball handling.

I am curious about Taylor's confidence after last night's game. He struggled in Hawaii until the second half against Chaminade, but seemed to still be passing up shots last night. While defenders were aggressively closing out (and television camera angles could be deceptive as to how open he actually was), he seemed content to shot fake on the closeout, dribble once or twice to manipulate the defense, then give the ball up. Not a concern yet, especially because he still puts out effort elsewhere, but something to keep an eye on.

Seems like our best lineup is Judah-Bell-Taylor-Brown and... a wildcard. I'd like it to be JJ but I agree with Cuffe because he's the better shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT