ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse v. Colgate 11/14/23 Game Thread

Nice to see our press actually working. People need to remember that this is the same team (arguably with less fire power) as last year, yet everyone expects things to change overnight!

In the first half they really struggled with in the restricted area, on both ends. Now the point in the paint numbers are not that drastic (38 for Colgate to 36 for Syracuse), the paint domination by Colgate was seen in their second chance points (18 for Colgate, 6 for Syracuse). Along with not giving up many second opportunities, in the first half, Colgate was excellent at trapping and suffocating Syracuse players who tried to drive. Colgate made exit passes to the perimeter very challenging and timely. Syracuse was forced to put up end of shot clock contested shots. The most impressive stat by far was the turnovers. In the first half, Syracuse had 4 turnovers, they finished with just 7, adding 3 in the second. That is excellent ball security. Meanwhile, Colgate had 5 turnovers in the first half, and finished with an astonishing 19 turnovers. Syracuse forced 14 turnovers in the second half. In large part due to their full court press which absolutely knocked Colgate of their rhythm. It seem in the first half Syracuse was playing on their heels. The second half though, they were the enforcers. Great games from Mintz and Bell. The two leading scorers. Bell found his stroke from downtown in the second quarter which was a big momentum builder for the comeback. As for Mintz, he had a great game despite not making a three. He got to the stipe 14 times, converting 11 of them. That illuminates the difference in the halves. Judah doubled his free throw attempts between halves. Another noteworthy point, Colgate only made 1 three in the second half, after drilling 8 of 15 in the first. Ultimately, this team needs to start competing in all 40 minutes. Autry made that a point of emphasis in his presser.

I am not a fan of the rotation at this time. In the first half, Autry seemed to dispense minutes based on a predetermined decision, not what was happening in the game.

I understand that Mintz and Starling are going to (rightfully) play a ton and that neither is a knockdown three-point shooter. I also don't think that sending Taylor out to guard the Patriot League Player of the Year while giving up four inches and 35 pounds is a good idea.

Brown is a good enough defender (in the second half, his man could not get a breath with the ball in his hands) to play the four in man-to-man defense that he should have started last night as a matchup-based decision. While playing McLeod and Brown together would condense things in the basket area for a team reliant on two guards driving to create offense, I would be more than happy to trust Mintz and Starling with that responsibility to limit an opponent's offense. I also think the interior defense and rebounding would be improved enough to increase transition opportunities.

I'm not a fan of making judgments based on emotional reactions, but Benny Williams' first half effort seemed to be lacking. Bad shot as soon as he entered the game and the transition defense of stopping near half court to take a weak flail at the ball handler made it look like he did not care. No one should be calling him a "39% 3-point shooter last year". He went 9-of-13 in the last four games last year, puffing up what was otherwise a 28.6% mark on a small number of attempts.

Copeland also needs to be told to ease off the threes. I don't think any bench player should be coming into the game and putting up threes immediately.

The perimeter defense was far too lax in the first half. So much space for Colgate shooters. So much standing around and giving up long offensive rebounds.

Colgate played scared once SU started being aggressive and deploying the press. Impressive fold by them.

Reactions: Steve Auger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT