ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse v. Army 9/23/23 Game Thread

Anyone got a prediction?
35-7, I am bouncing between 42 and 35, I think I landed on 35 because Army plays pretty slow from what I noticed. They like to keep the ball on the ground which obviously will milk clock. The spread only being SYR -13.0 also feels a little disrespectful, especially considering UTSA kind of gave Army a run in their last game only winning by 8. The O/U being 49.5 also feels very high for the same reason I mentioned that Army milks the clock. Statistically, Army has the highest time of possession by a very noticeable margin in the FBS, so the under seems goods here. Ultimately, Shrader stays hot as the ACC QB of the week, and Syracuse will keep their momentum going into the Clemson week.

I’m going to say SU hits a couple of big plays but Army moves the ball some. In the end SU’s offense is too much. 35-16

In Army's two games against FBS teams, they have given up over 6.5 yards per rush (sacks removed). Only two of their seven sacks on the season came in those games. In short, this is a good opportunity for the offense to succeed, particularly getting LeQuint Allen going and building the line's confidence.

On defense, it is VERY important to tackle well and stop Army on early downs. They have run the ball 77% of the time, which keeps them in manageable down-and-distance situations and keeps the opponent's offense on the sideline.

They've converted 40% of their third downs (14/35) in those two games, but eight of those conversions have been with three or fewer yards to go. Army was 6/6 on fourth down conversions against UTSA (four were one or two yards and one of seven yards was on a defensive pass interference). They will go for it in favorable distance situations due to their confidence in their run game.

The key, to me, is SU's defensive line and linebackers stuffing the run game on first and second downs, as tackles for loss will get Army's offense out of their comfort zone.

Army won't limit SU's possessions, as ULM and UTSA had the ball 12 and 10 times in their games (for comparison, SU has had 12 possessions in each of their last two games). The Orange will just be very effective when they have the ball. SU has had 13 scoring drives last two weeks, (including the missed FG last week). 12 of those drives lasted under four minutes and 12 of the drives covered at least 50 yards. Time of possession is not the issue.

41-13, Syracuse.

On defense, it is VERY important to tackle well and stop Army on early downs. They have run the ball 77% of the time, which keeps them in manageable down-and-distance situations and keeps the opponent's offense on the sideline.

They've converted 40% of their third downs (14/35) in those two games, but eight of those conversions have been with three or fewer yards to go. Army was 6/6 on fourth down conversions against UTSA (four were one or two yards and one of seven yards was on a defensive pass interference). They will go for it in favorable distance situations due to their confidence in their run game.

The quick hits from the game will refer to these two items, particularly in how the SU defense turned thing around on Army's first five possessions of the second half.

Reactions: Mershman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT