ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game

myk3077

Oct 24, 2011
I had to go to the store and it gave me sometime to process what I witnessed tonight.

I can say without a doubt we were out coached tonight.

First: It wasn't until the FIRST OT that I saw our defensive ends atleast try and contain.. time and time again all damn game our guys were speed rushing up the field allowing the QB to step up and then get outside.. they totally used our aggression against us... which bring me to the needless amount of blitzing for the entire first half and a couple of dumb times in the second half.. we were getting pressure with our DL a lot...we didn't need to short change our secondary and we should of had a spy after the second series of the game. I think they started spying mid 4th quarter but our LB's were caught out of position a lot when he scrambled.. he had atleat 5 yards all night. DID we watch tape on these guys at all.. I mean the Kid started every game for Nova last year...sure seems like we didn't have a game plan for them.. Seemed like we were gonna run what we wanted to run on D not caring what there strength is at all.. and basically not making many adjustments until late in the game

Second: I didn't care for the play calling tonight at all....The damn WR screen was terrible last year and it isn't any better this year.. we have a QB in a shotgun and the ball is still being thrown backwards to get it to the receiver? It just takes too long to develop.. and it takes perfect blocks and no issues with the throw or catch or you are screwed.. 2 times on first down we throw that crap and because it was a backwards pass that wasn't caught were like 2nd and 16 basically killing 2 different drives.. here is a MEMO.. you throw the WR screen as a read/check at the line or when in an extreme hurry up so the D cant get into position to read/stop it.. using as one of your primary weapons is stupid and its basically what got Rob Spence fired twice.. it just doesn't work consistently against well coached D's. You use it as a hurry up or if the D is setup in a way that makes it advantageous. Yes I know we had a back up in... but the same pattern was there with hunt in the first 2 quarters. This is not Highschool Ball where your skill position players will just Juke 3 dudes and make something out of nothing because of a huge gap in talent. We have to be able to power run the ball against a team like nova. One last thing... The dude in the booth (espn3) Grohe called our plays pre-snap atleast 5 times throughout the game once he saw the personnel packages/formations... that's really scary..because if he can do it.. you know your opponent can do it and it makes there job a lot easier on D

I know we had some of our OL hurt tonight but it was a very discouraging performance from the offensive line. Other than 1 Gulley run...we just couldn't run the ball...ofcourse it might have helped if we stopped trying to run wide and ran right at them.. check that.. we tried to run at them in OT and we couldn't get 1 damn yard and actually lost a bunch trying to run right at them for 6 plays and 2 series. Acosta can recruit.. but he and Adams better also be able to coach.. it didn't look good out there for our OL.

In summation: We didn't look ready to play tonight.. we were out coached, out played and Nova played with a ton of heart. We were very lucky to get the W. I have to give credit to Nova's QB.. he basically looked like an all American tonight.. he is great under pressure and is a very good athlete who make good decisions.. he almost beat us single handedly .and should have.

Any Positives??

I thought Ashton played well in the first half with Hunt in there. Ron Thompson looks like I thought he would look..impressive and ofcourse we got the W. We got a bye week to work on some things.... I think if Hunt plays all game we win by maybe 10.... Sky is not falling but damn we got to get our heads out of our A**es pretty quick
This post was edited on 8/31 1:57 PM by myk3077

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News